Monday, June 20, 2005

Day five and six: British Museum, Woman in White, and Greenwich

The day before yesterday was spend mainly in the British Museum, and within the British Museum, mostly in the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian sections. Of course I went to see the Rosetta stone. Egyptian heiroglyphics are really neat looking. I also visited the display on the Parthenon which had all the bits missing from Mom and Dad's pictures from their trip to Greece. It's really quite amazing how well things from that era age. I doubt that anything we build today will look nearly that good two thousand years from now, if indeed any pieces remain. The other displays which stood out were the Lyican Neiad (spelling?) tomb and the display of the friezes from Asyrian palaces. I like how they displayed the friezes in a long hall all pieces together so that you could imagine and almost succeed in convincing yourself that you were walking in an actual Asyrian palace a few thousand years ago.
After leaving the British Museum we wandered around for a while. It was really really hot. Everyone was saying that it never got this hot this early. We bumped, quite accidentally into the Palace Theater which was showing Woman in White, the new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, so we bought tickets. For dinner we went to a place called the Glassblower (on Glasshouse Street) a roomate recommended for fish and chips. They were good, but towards the end there was a bit too much batter. The chips were good too. Crispy on the outside and mushy inside. I haven't had french fries in a long time.
Woman in White was a spectacular, amazing show. I am so happy we went to see it. I don't think I've heard so many strong singers, each well suited to their role, in one show, and the melodies were so good. The set was also very interesting. Instead of screens that they have to manually push back and forth with various painted backdrops, they had a projection screens in semicircles that they could rotate. A circle in the middle of the stage could also be rotated. The setup gave the stage extra dimensionality because when they were supposed to go through a door, they could open up a door on the screen which had a picture of a door projected onto it while the stage rotated so that you could see the room being entered. Also, it allowed actors to walk and remain in the same place which was also interesting. It probably took a lot of practice to walk straight and not in crooked lines, but everything was so well rehearsed and smoothly done.

Yesterday we spent in Greenwich because Linh was not feeling well. In the morning we wandered around the three markets they had, and the afternoon we spent first chatting in our room with some roomates then wandering around in the park. The view from the top of the hill in that park is fantastic. You can see the Thames between two sections of the Queen's palace and beyond that the London skyline. Dinner we had at a pizza place which was good, but not outstandingly so. All in all, it was a relaxing day, a welcome break from museums, and I enjoyed getting to know people better.

1 Comments:

Blogger tkchoi said...

The performers we have in Seattle in plays are probably not first rank. I am glad you get to see a play in London (which incidently I have not done before). T.K.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home