Thursday, June 16, 2005

Day Three: St. Paul's and London Museum

Today, the first thing we did (after tea and breakfast) was get ourselves really lost. I think we have to do that at least twice a day to get it out of our systems, but not to worry, we usually find our way to where we want to go eventually.^^ Today our lostness led to a rather fortunate consequence. While we were walking to the Tower of London, we were delayed enough to see Andy Roddick and Venus Williams playing tennis! It was completely unexpected. They were playing to benefit a charity, the LTA which advocates what sounds like open access tennis. I hope the pictures turn out alright.
Afterwards we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. It was the opposite of Westminster Abbey in a lot of ways. It was really light colored, a great deal more modern looking, especially the artwork, and the architecture was a style I don't know the name of but very stately in a way unlike Gothic architecture is. There were also a lot of memorials there, mostly to military heros, and there were also a lot of dead bodies in the crypt below, though I doubt there were nearly as many as in Westminster. We had lunch among the graves again. I think maybe we're spending a bit too much time around graves and are getting slightly (more) morbid. We could also walk up stairs, a lot of stairs, to various levels of the dome of the cathedral. There are some wonderful views of the city from the top.
After St. Paul's we went to the Museum of London, which wasn't as great as all the other things we've done thus far. I didn't think the exhibits were explained as well as they could have been, but there was some interesting stuff there. I liked the displays about medicine in the London area through the ages. And the witch hunts. Lots of weird stuff to see.
Then we went back to Greenwich and decided to wander for a bit and got lost for the second time today. We did find dinner eventually after going into a bar and leaving because it was a bit scary. There were two other women in the entire place, and it was filled with smoke. And I don't know how to order food at a bar/pub. And that was pretty much it for today.

-Vivian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home