Sunday, August 21, 2005

cool words

I'm in the process of acquiring new vocabulary in order to do well (hopefully) on the GRE which I'll take soon (again, hopefully), and did you know that there's a word that means: fear of the number 13? That's so cool! The word is "triskaidekaphobia." Ooh, and there's another one, "brobdingnagian" meaning gigantic or of great height. Anyway, I thought that was pretty neat.
Soo...what else have I been doing...
Well, I actually ran up to The Bench that the two runners in lab are always running to. It's a very special bench and warrants the capital letters. I made it all the way up, which I am very proud of, and there's an awesome view at this Bench which makes it all worth it. You can sit on The Bench and see San Francisco across the Bay, and it faces west, so I bet sunsets would be gorgeous. The second time I went intending to watch sunset, but it got so cloudy that when I was up there, it felt like I was sitting on my own personal flying island. The trees, little orange and blue flowers, and white fluffy things that you blow on for wishes look delicate, beautiful, and a little bit sad in the middle of all that mist. On the way down was a bit scary because it was late enough that I didn't see anyone, that is except for a sinister looking old man who fortunately also looked too frail to run much, and I kept on imagining serial killers around the next bend. There are a lot of bends in that trail. Talk about inspiration to run faster. I think I'll skip the evening runs up there in the future, though.
Melody and Han came to visit yesterday, and I took them on a walk up to The Bench. They haven't hiked in a while, Melody not since last summer, so it was an enjoyable experience. So enjoyable, in fact, that we continued onwards to the Space Science Labs before turning back. That would make it an 8 mile hike. They were both kind of sore afterwards and decided to go back to Stanford for a hot shower and a comfortable bed. And Han probably had a cup of expresso. He has his own expresso machine and grinds and roasts his own beans which he mail orders from a prestigious cafe in Seattle. That boy...too much sleep deprivation. Several shots a day, apparently.
Lab stuff is going alright. I finally overcame my break-body-cavities-when-sectioning problem only to be beset by a dust-on-important-section problem, which was unfortunate to say the least. As of now, I think that I've overcome this problem, or at least enough to get decent pictures. *knock on wood and keep fingers crossed* Now the only things that need doing are drawing a phylogenetic tree to give on of the genes an appropriate name and completing the sequence of another gene. I am so relieved to be almost done, for real. I think I've been saying "almost done" for about a year now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home