Sunday, August 28, 2005

wonderful last week of summer

The title makes me feel rather sad. The last week of summer. This has been the best summer I've had in a while, and whenever I think about it ending, I have to take a deep breath and sort of resign myself to it yet again. I kept on forgetting today that I have to go to school tomorrow. A very bad case of denial.
This week Connie came back, and I ended up seeing a lot of her, Ian, and Jerjou. Also good volleyball days. And Jessie and I made a lot of dessert on Sat. She bought two pounds of chocolate from Trader Joe's (they have very good dark and bittersweet chocolate by the way, and it's pretty cheap). Oh, and she got me a bottle of red wine too, which is exciting, because now I can cook a good beef stew. So anyway, we turned the two pounds of chocolate and a good amont of nuts and a few raspberries into tarts, truffles, and various chocolates. And caramels. I think we'll have to do this again before I leave for winter break. So this evening, a bunch of Newport people took a recent Newport grad/Berkeley freshman out to dinner at a Thai place (Plearn -- good yellow curry) and I fed them a bunch of dessert back at my place. Ian is worrying me a bit because he seems to get more morbid everytime I see him. The other hilight of the week was seeing a musical, Wicked, at Orpheum in San Francisco on Thursday night. It was SPECTACULAR. I've been listening to the soundtrack obcessively since. The live performance was better. I think the lead singer in the live performance is better than the one in the original cast in the recording. But that performance was so mind-blowingly good. The special effects, dancing, and costuming were good. There's a number called "Defying Gravity" where the lead singer is suspended in the air smack dab in the middle of the stage, and the lighting was in three rays such that you couldn't see the lower half of her body. It looked like she was floating disembodied in midair with her cloak flowing behind her and black smoke billowing around her. And her voice was so well suited for that song -- powerful and resonant. I've seen two musicals this summer, and they were both amazing. I'm so fortunate.=D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home