I can see the sun!
After three weeks of rainy days in Seattle, the blue, sunny sky as I stepped off the plane at Oakland was a welcome site. I took immediate advantage and went running and grocery and book shopping as soon as I got back, which was fortunate because the next day started out with rain and grey skies. It was nice to be able to snuggle up inside with a cup of tea and a book, and know that there was nothing I had to do. Nothing pressing at least.
However, I did get off my lazy butt and cleaned the apartment thoroughly and baked some bread for the first sandwiches of the quickly approaching semester. A clean apartment, and I can finally breath deeply and look around without wincing. I have to start the semester off with the apartment in good order because it all goes downhill from there. The tea stains on the kitchen counter have been bleached and scrubed away, the floor has been mopped, and the bathroom sterilized and dusted. No more hair in the back corners, dust behind the faucet, and toothpaste smears in the sink. I feel so relieved. Cleaning is instant gratification. And the smell of baking bread in a clean apartment is even more tasty than in a grundgy one.
Today I went to Professor Harland's 50th birthday party (a few months late). I keep telling myself that social situations in which I know few people are only awkward if I think they are, but despite doing my best to convince myself that it wasn't awkward at all, I still felt out of place. On the up side, I can only get better at this, right? It was a good party, though, complete with yummy food, cake, and embarassing pictures. The party was held on the 8th floor of Barrows, and the view was wonderful. Today was clear with barely any clouds at all, and I stayed long enough to watch the sunset over the bay. I wished I had a camera handy.
On a completely unrelated topic, carpool lanes shouldn't be the lane where everyone is merging and exiting. It defeats the point of a carpool lane. Do you know what else defeats the point of a carpool lane? Mrs. Potter (English teacher) dragging a student with her when her son was driving her to the airport so that her son could use the carpool lane on the way back.
However, I did get off my lazy butt and cleaned the apartment thoroughly and baked some bread for the first sandwiches of the quickly approaching semester. A clean apartment, and I can finally breath deeply and look around without wincing. I have to start the semester off with the apartment in good order because it all goes downhill from there. The tea stains on the kitchen counter have been bleached and scrubed away, the floor has been mopped, and the bathroom sterilized and dusted. No more hair in the back corners, dust behind the faucet, and toothpaste smears in the sink. I feel so relieved. Cleaning is instant gratification. And the smell of baking bread in a clean apartment is even more tasty than in a grundgy one.
Today I went to Professor Harland's 50th birthday party (a few months late). I keep telling myself that social situations in which I know few people are only awkward if I think they are, but despite doing my best to convince myself that it wasn't awkward at all, I still felt out of place. On the up side, I can only get better at this, right? It was a good party, though, complete with yummy food, cake, and embarassing pictures. The party was held on the 8th floor of Barrows, and the view was wonderful. Today was clear with barely any clouds at all, and I stayed long enough to watch the sunset over the bay. I wished I had a camera handy.
On a completely unrelated topic, carpool lanes shouldn't be the lane where everyone is merging and exiting. It defeats the point of a carpool lane. Do you know what else defeats the point of a carpool lane? Mrs. Potter (English teacher) dragging a student with her when her son was driving her to the airport so that her son could use the carpool lane on the way back.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home