An assortment of teabags.
Law of Nature #74: If a white shirt and a tomato or tomato based sauce or dish come within biting distance of each other, the white shirt has a tendency to come away with a tomato stain. The whiter, newer, or harder to launder this shirt is, the stronger the tendency is.
On waste and sterility:
When I think about how much plastic is thrown away everyday in a lab for the purpose of keeping things sterile and clean, its just absurd. Plastic dishes for growing cells in. Plastic tubes for doing things to cells and cell products. More tubes to make solutions in. The plastic pipette tips for moving things from plastic tube to plastic tube. Plastic cell scrappers. And not to mention the plastic wrapping that everything comes in. I unwrapped 48 individually packaged columns, each, say, 3 cm. tall, and 30 individually wrapped cell scrapers. And none of it is recycled! None! You'd figure that at least some of it could be recycled or reused. Or better yet, why can't we used glass or steel and just clean everything? Why didn't we come up with better cleaning processes instead of the bright idea of making everything single use and plastic?
Another rant: What is with the people with lights that blink and flash and glitter on their earphones? And always this annoying neon blue.
Today the BART driver seemed rather new. He would call out the next destination the final destination often enough to compete with Oakland airports, "Due to recent sercurity measures..." recording and kept doors open for an excessive time at each stop. He also stopped unexpectedly and abruptly. I stood up right as he was stopping unexpected and in an effort to not fall all over the unsuspectng, napping guy in the seat facing mine, I fell all over the floor instead. Sigh. I am a walking disaster. On the upside, I bet all those people watching got a smile or perhaps even a giggle out of it.=P
On waste and sterility:
When I think about how much plastic is thrown away everyday in a lab for the purpose of keeping things sterile and clean, its just absurd. Plastic dishes for growing cells in. Plastic tubes for doing things to cells and cell products. More tubes to make solutions in. The plastic pipette tips for moving things from plastic tube to plastic tube. Plastic cell scrappers. And not to mention the plastic wrapping that everything comes in. I unwrapped 48 individually packaged columns, each, say, 3 cm. tall, and 30 individually wrapped cell scrapers. And none of it is recycled! None! You'd figure that at least some of it could be recycled or reused. Or better yet, why can't we used glass or steel and just clean everything? Why didn't we come up with better cleaning processes instead of the bright idea of making everything single use and plastic?
Another rant: What is with the people with lights that blink and flash and glitter on their earphones? And always this annoying neon blue.
Today the BART driver seemed rather new. He would call out the next destination the final destination often enough to compete with Oakland airports, "Due to recent sercurity measures..." recording and kept doors open for an excessive time at each stop. He also stopped unexpectedly and abruptly. I stood up right as he was stopping unexpected and in an effort to not fall all over the unsuspectng, napping guy in the seat facing mine, I fell all over the floor instead. Sigh. I am a walking disaster. On the upside, I bet all those people watching got a smile or perhaps even a giggle out of it.=P
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home